Washington, DC Counseling Resources
Resources to other professionals in Washington, D.C.
- Jyotika Vazirani, RNP. Highly skilled evaluator for depression and anxiety. 1213 U St., NW, Washington, DC. Phone: 202.667.4151.
- Michael Mrizek, MD, 3000 Connecticut Ave., NW, Suite 137, Washington, DC . Phone: 202. 656.4135. Offers evening appointments. Has good rapport with young adults.
- Maheen Patel, MD. In addition to her Pennsylvania Avenue practice, she teaches residents and medical students at Georgetown University. www.maheenpatelmd.com
- Jared Putnam, MD. Located in Bethesda, Md. Rated as one of Washingtonian Magazine’s top psychiatrists in 2009. www.putnam-psychiatry.com
- Frank Moscarillo, MD. Located in Chevy Chase, Md. Ph: 301.951.7220. Consistently rated by Washingtonian Magazine as one of Washington area’s top psychiatrists.
- Chris Santangelo, MD, 2000 P St., NW, #601, Washington, DC 20036. Ph: 571.218.0553. web: www.chrissantangelomd.com. Has been named ‘Top Doctor’ by Washingtonian Magazine.
- Nora Galil, MD, (child and adolescent psychiatrist), 4707 Connecticut Ave., NW, Washington, DC. Phone: 202.244.0473.
- Daniel Levine, MD, 10215 Fernwood Rd., Suite 520, Bethesda, MD 20817. Phone: 301.897.0099, ext. 304. One of Washingtonian Magazine’s Top Doctors.
Primary Care Physicians
- Joel Ang, M.D., (www.QStreetMDs.com), 1759 Q St., NW, Washington, DC 20009. Ph: 202.667.5041. HIV/AIDS expert.
- Dale Matthews, M.D., 1140 19th St., NW, Suite 500, Washington, DC 20036. Ph: 202.728.9630. A faith-based physician, he is part of the Washington Internist Group. www.wigmd.com
- Lisa Kaufman, M.D., 1145 19th St., NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20036. Ph: 202.833.7051. Dr. Kaufman is part of the practice of Stock, Kaufman and Greenlee, in Dupont Circle.
- Ben Stearn, M.D., 1737 20th St., NW, Washington, DC 20009. Ph: 202.745.0201. www.DupontDocs.com. Excellent bedside manner. John Curtin is his physician assistant.
- Linda Assatourians, M.D., 2141 K St., NW, Suite 600, Washington, DC 20037. Ph: 202.223.2283. Accepts Blue Cross. Consistently gets very high marks on sites like Yelp.
- Darcy Hansen, M.D., 1145 19th St., NW, Suite 210, Washington, DC 20036. This practice sees a lot of patients in their 20s and 30s. The office offers evening and Saturday appointments.
- Chevy Chase Pediatricians (www.chevychasepediatrics.net), 5225 Connecticut Ave., NW, Suite 103, Washington, DC 20015. Phone: 202.363.0300. Drs. Ahlstrom, Bennett and Zegal. Plus a team of nurses and lab technicians. Offer Saturday morning sick visits, 9 am-noon.
- Spring Valley Pediatrics (www.springvalleypediatrics.net), 4900 Massachusetts Ave., NW, Washington, DC 20016. Phone: 202.966.5000. This practice consistently gets high marks on rating websites. Offers weekend and holiday sick visits.
- Joe Bavonese, Ph.D., Ann Arbor, MI. Director of three psychotherapy offices in Michigan. Specializes in marriage/couples counseling. Website (www.relationship-institute.com) offers lots of helpful information on building, maintaining healthy relationships.
- Suzie Wolfer, LCSW, Portland, OR. Main focus is on treating anxiety and stress. www.counseling-portlandoregon.com
- Mark Edison, Ph.D., New York, NY. Expert on treating alcoholic clients and their partners. www.nyalcoholsolutions.com
- Stephen McDonnell, LCSW, LMFT, 352 Seventh Ave., Suite 1005. New York, NY 10001. Phone: 347-304-1060. Web: www.stephenmcdonnell.com. Specializes in couples counseling/marriage counseling. Sees straight and gay couples.
- Jenny Olin, LCSW, Saratoga Spring, NY. Specializes in relationship counseling. www.healthyrelationshipsforlife.com
- Michael Schneider, Psy.D., Pittsburgh, Pa. Director of New Directions Counseling Center, offering psychotherapy, counseling and career coaching. www.newdirectionspgh.com
- Rhonda Kildea, MFT, Las Vegas, NV. Specializes in depression, anxiety and eating disorders. www.nhcclv.com
- Randy Weled, MFT, San Francisco, CA. Director of LGBTQ psychotherapy practice. www.goldengatecounseling.com
- Allison Shotwell, MFT, Palo Alto, CA. Individual psychotherapy for adults and teens. www.paloaltocounselingcenter.com
Mental Health Links
- Therese Brochard, a bipolar woman living in Annapolis, writes a funny and insightful blog called ‘Beyond Blue’ on Beliefnet.com. Good insights into the benefits of counseling and psychotherapy.
- psychologytoday.com: Good resource to find therapists/counselors in your area. Can search by specialty, insurance, etc.